Friday, December 3, 2021

Glorious Day - December 2, 2021

Man, yesterday afternoon was glorious.  Seventy degrees.  Sunny.  I sat on the (now-winterized) back porch with both doors open, letting the breeze flow through, until dark.  

Yesterday morning on my way to work, it was very foggy.   I turned on my headlights to be better seen in the fog.  I am still driving my old Wrangler since my other car is still at the body shop.  The Wrangler doesn't have some of the conveniences of today's cars.  The headlights don't automatically come on when the engine is cranked.  Neither do they automatically go off.  

The Wrangler does have a chime that is supposed to sound when the driver door is open and the key is in the ignition or the headlights remain on.  This safety feature does not work if the fuse is blown or has been removed from its slot.  Why would the fuse have been removed from its slot? you might ask.  It might have been removed from its slot if a son had wanted to joy-ride in the Jeep with the doors off back in the summer when the weather was warm.  (The chime will sound constantly with the doors off and the engine running if the fuse is in place.)

So.

I rolled up in The Boss's driveway at 7:45 yesterday morning, and when I got out of the Jeep, it did not tell me that my headlights were on.  When I got back in the Jeep later that afternoon and turned the ignition key, the engine didn't even grunt. I had forgotten to turn off the headlights.  

Neither I nor The Boss had any jumper cables.  

It took 30 minutes to get a live person on the phone at AAA.  Finally, after 30 more minutes, a wrecker showed up with a battery charger.  

While I waited for the wrecker, I found the fuse in the glove compartment and put it back in its slot.

Today, one of my goals is to install the AAA app on my cell phone, if the ancient device will accept it.





No comments:

Post a Comment