Thursday, December 22, 2022

Christmas is Coming! - December 22, 2022

Christmas is almost here.  I am ready.  Almost.  

There is no one in the world who hates shopping more than I.  My oldest grandchildren have learned to send me their lists of things they want/need, and to send them early.  I get online, and the shopping is done.  Easy-peasy.

What is not so easy is finding something for The Husband.  He buys what he wants, and he doesn't drop hints.  That's why he gets a bunch of socks and underwear for Christmas.

* * * * * * * * 

It's 46 degrees on the back porch this morning.  (Yeah, I'm a little chilly out here.)  The weather people have been predicting a wave of seriously cold weather (with ridiculously cold wind chill temps) that I thought was supposed to arrive last night.  So earlier this week, I did my grocery shopping and picked up some last-minute gifts.  Yesterday I made myself go out shopping for one more present.  All the gifts, except for two online purchases that haven't arrived yet, are wrapped and under the tree.  (Yes, I actually put up a Christmas tree this year.)  Now, the weatherman is saying that the cold weather will arrive mid-day today.  I have to make one more run to the grocery store, but then I am d-o-n-e DONE leaving the house until the weather warms up again!

We've invited the usual folks from the hill for supper Christmas Eve - nothing fancy, just a big pot of chili and some nibbles.  I've told everyone, "If it's cold, and you'd rather stay home in your warm jammies, stay home!"  The same deal goes for the traditional Christmas Day breakfast at Nanny's.  It's supposed to be REALLY cold Christmas morning, and Nanny wants to go to church that morning, so we've pushed breakfast to 11 a.m. instead of the usual 9 a.m.  A sister-in-law and I will be doing the cooking while Nanny goes to church.

* * * * * * * *

Granddaughter #1 face-timed me two nights ago with the news that she has been accepted into the college she wants to attend.  I congratulated her heartily, then when the conversation was over, I cried a little.  The college is alllllll the way across the state, but it's not just that; she's growing up and about to encounter all the problems that go with being an adult.  She wants to be a veterinarian and has a long road ahead of her.  

Grandmothers worry.



No comments:

Post a Comment