Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Whew...Christmas is Over - December 27, 2022

I hope you (both) had a good holiday.  

Mine was kinda busy, but it was nice.  We got to see all of our children and grandchildren over the weekend.  

I spent most of Saturday cooking.  It was touch and go there, for a while.  Because it was SO FREAKIN' COLD, to save electricity, the power company was staging 15-minute blackouts throughout the county on Saturday.  What a terrible day to have blackouts, eh?, while folks are trying to cook for Christmas!  When I woke up around 6 a.m., our power was going off once an hour for about 15 minutes.  I had two nearly-fossilized bananas on the counter that I wanted to use to make banana nut bread, but I was reluctant to mix it up and put it in the oven for fear that the power would go off during the baking (it has to bake for nearly an hour).  Finally, the outages stopped, and I baked the bread.  Although I hadn't planned on starting the rest of the food so early, I figured I'd better "make hay while the sun was shining," after I put the bread in the oven, I started on the rest of the cooking - finger foods and a big pot of chili.  

Son #1 and his family and the folks on the hill came over about 6 p.m. Christmas Eve.  We opened a few presents, drank a few cocktails, played and sang some Christmas songs, ate like pigs.  It was fun.  

Christmas morning, The Husband and I exchanged gifts at home.  I got him YET ANOTHER UKULELE.  He already had several soprano ukuleles, a tenor ukulele, and a banjo-lele; I got him a baritone to add to his collection.  I was kind of worried I'd gone overboard in the ukulele department, especially since he'd have to learn new chord structures for the baritone.  But then I thought, Shit, his ass can just learn something new.  He seemed to like it, and he started learning the new chords even before we went to brunch at Nanny's.  We both like its tone.  Whew...home run.  :)  He got me some bling, some fuzzy warm socks, and a digital notepad thing that I might not be smart enough to use.  

At 11, we had brunch at Nanny's and passed out more presents with the folks on the hill.  Later that day, we went over to Son #2's house to take their gifts.  

The Grandson spent the night with us Christmas night.  Our gift to him was a little bit of cash and a gift card to a sporting goods store.  He'd told us he wanted hunting clothes for Christmas, but there was no way we were going to buy them without him being present to try them on/pick them out.  We'd been trying to get together with him for a couple of weekends, but our schedules wouldn't mesh.  So he spent the night here Christmas night, and yesterday he and The Husband had a "man day" at the sporting goods store.  He was a happy camper when they came home.

I am a happy camper because I finished the three grant-writing classes I was taking online.  Got 3 official-looking certificates to show for it.  






No comments:

Post a Comment