Thursday, September 22, 2022

Not Bored, Exactly - September 22, 2022

Now that I have a "real job" (as my family says), I have to do my reporting at night.  (Or get up an hour earlier, which ain't happening.)  Unfortunately, I'm even goofier at night than in the mornings.  You get what you get.  ;)

Week 2 of the new job is - well, I don't quite know what.

I'm not exactly bored because I'm learning new things.  I am somewhat uncomfortable.  Still "squatting" at the conference table in The New Boss's office (while he works in the conference room, as he's always done), still no definitive workspace of my own.  Yesterday, the place - a cavernous, former bank lobby - was so noisy that I picked up my laptop and moved to the kitchen at the back of the building.  I stayed there until my laptop began to run out of juice; there was no electric outlet that my cord would reach without stretching it across the path to the coffee pot.  

And I do dumb sh*t.  A few days ago, I got a notice about a 2:30 p.m. webinar I thought would be helpful to watch, so I set my calendar AND my phone to notify me when it was time.  However, I had not noticed that it was to happen at 2:30 EASTERN time, so I joined the webinar just as it was wrapping up.  Nice.  Thankfully, it's a repeating thing, so I can watch it next week if I have nothing better to do.  I signed up for a different webinar that I booked for 6 p.m. tonight, and I really wanted to watch it.  I left work in plenty of time for a 6 p.m. webinar, but on the way home, it hit me that I might've missed EASTERN time on it, too.  So I rushed home.  I'd picked up a grocery order on my way home, and I'd have to put away the refrigerated stuff, at least, before I could get to the computer.  I flew in the house with one armload of groceries, fired up my laptop on the porch on my way back to the Jeep, got the rest of the bags.  The weather has been so nice this week that I've been driving the old Wrangler with the top down.  It turned chilly this afternoon, and the skies were kind of dark, like it might rain.  I needed to put the top up, but I had ten minutes if the webinar was at 5, and I needed to pee.  So, before I put up the groceries, or even dashed to the bathroom, I double-checked the webinar time.  7 EASTERN.  6, my time.  Whew.  (I must've learned my lesson from yesterday's mistake, but I don't recall using it.)  The groceries got put away, and the Wrangler top got put up, and I even found time to pee and gather some note-taking stuff.

The webinar was worth watching.  




  

No comments:

Post a Comment