Tuesday, September 6, 2022

What Day Is It? - September 6, 2022

Thank goodness my computer knows what day it is; otherwise, I'd have to ask somebody.

I still have not heard from anybody about the new job, which I have been told is a "done deal," a "sure thing."  It's a bit irksome.  I need a target date to start.  It doesn't matter if the target date is tomorrow or six months from now, I just need to know so I can plan my time. 

My sewing/craft room is full of things to do.  When/IF I start the new job, it may have to become my office (The Husband has taken over our "real" office).  It is a total wreck at present and needs to be re-organized before ANY kind of new project gets underway.  I could start cleaning now and probably finish today, having a clean slate for tomorrow.  

But what to do tomorrow?

I need to make a quilt for Granddaughter #3.  She is 8 years old.  

When Granddaughter #1 was 6 years old, I asked her what kind of quilt she wanted.  She said, "Hmmmm...a PRINCESS quilt!"  I pondered a good while before finally deciding to use pre-printed panels showing various princesses in their finery.  On blank blocks between the princesses, I quilted a glass slipper, a pumpkin carriage, a mouse, a tiara, etc.  My skill set then was not quite as developed as it is now; I could do better now.  But Granddaughter #1 is long past the princess stage, and her family has moved several times, so the quilt is now boxed up and in a storage unit, somewhere, and probably hasn't been seen in years.

Granddaughter #2 was 11 when I asked her what kind of quilt she wanted.  She pondered and pondered and couldn't come up with anything.  Finally, wanting to get started, I took her to a fabric store and let her pick out one piece of fabric - anything she wanted - thinking it would lead to an idea.  She picked out a blue-green-black diagonal stripe (I think I've bitched about that fabric in several previous posts), which screamed "BORDER FABRIC," but a border for WHAT?  I ended up ordering more of that fabric and chopped it into triangles to make diamonds and squares.  I interspersed those squares with 3-D log cabin blocks.  It would make your eyes go crossed to look at that quilt top.  When Granddaughter #2 saw it (before I'd gotten around to putting the BORDER on it), her disappointment was obvious.  By this time, she'd decided that she what she really, really wanted was a superhero quilt.  I started over.  She was tickled pink with the superhero quilt, but it probably won't be long until she will see it as "kid stuff."

I have not yet asked Granddaughter #3 what kind of quilt she wants, or even what color she likes.  Maybe I should ask before I start something.

Or maybe not.  











No comments:

Post a Comment