Thursday, March 30, 2023

Fancy Dresses - March 30, 2023

Monday morning, I worked on emptying out the craft/office room to get the room ready for new flooring.  I unplugged all of the sewing/embroidery machines and boxed up all of the sewing supplies and took them to a spare bedroom.

That same night, Granddaughter #1 called and asked if I could shorten a dress for her.  She needs it this for "Oscar Night" at her high school this weekend (she has been nominated for something).  I told her to bring it over that night so we could mark the hem.  This is the dress:


I bought this dress for her a few months ago to wear to a masquerade ball.  It has four layers of tulle, interspersed with two layers of satin.  She wants to shorten it to just above her knees.  The thought of taking the scissors to that dress filled me with dread.  

The very next morning, I called a local dress shop that does alterations and asked if she could do the work by Saturday.  Yesterday, I took the dress to her.  She raised her eyebrows and said it would be Saturday afternoon before it would be ready, and she would charge $75 to do the work.  I told her I'd just try to do it, myself.

I came home and put the dress on my dressmaker's dummy (which would have gone to the attic earlier in the day if anyone had been here to help me get it up the stairs) and started to mark the hem.  It became obvious that this was going to be a huge mess.  And I hated, hated, hated to cut off that lovely dress.  Who knows what that tulle will do when I take off half the length?  It might turn into a tutu!

Granddaughter will be going off to college this fall.  She may join a sorority, and she may need a formal-length dress for a party.  I really hate to chop it up.

While at the dress shop, I had noticed that it was full of short, sparkly party dresses.  

I called the granddaughter and asked if she would be free to go dress shopping Friday after school.  She said she would.

After we talked, I finished marking the hem, just in case she doesn't find a new dress that works.  If she doesn't find one, we'll come straight back to my house, and I'll cut the dress off - a little at a time - with her in it.  







No comments:

Post a Comment