Sunday, March 26, 2023

This has been a frustrating week.  

For starters, we've been cat-sitting for Son #2 this week.  He is a long-haired cat, and everything in my house is coated with cathair.  He is obstinate.  I have told him multiple times not to get on the kitchen table or countertops, and I'm fairly certain that he understands the word "NO!"  Still, I catch him on the table.  The second time it happened, I told him to get off; he responded with an f-you look.  I whacked his behind, which sent him packing, and evidently taught him a lesson.  He has learned that he'll get his butt whacked if he's on the table when I come in the room, but it hasn't taught him not to get on the table; it's only taught him to jump off and run away when I come in.  

He races us to our chairs when he sees we are about to sit, and he rolls over on his back to have his tummy scratched.  The Husband will do it, but I won't.  I will run him off.  

We've been making him stay in a spare bedroom at night and when we are not home.  Yesterday morning, I got up early, poured a cup of coffee, and settled down in my recliner to read before letting the cat out of the bedroom.  The cat did not meow to be let out of the bedroom.  Instead, he went into the adjoining bathroom and began slamming the cabinet door.  Repeatedly.

Our son and his family will be coming home from their vacation today.  We and the cat may be sitting in their driveway when they get home.

The other thing that has frustrated me this week is my job.  I don't have any work to do.  This weighs on my conscience.  When I first started this job, I had a lot to learn, and when I did not have any specific task to do, I spent my time educating myself by reading books, taking classes, and watching webinars.  After six months on the job, I've run out of make-work.  I am beginning to feel like a "kept woman," without the luxuries that go with that profession.  I am seriously considering retirement.

On a lighter note, our grandson spent part of the weekend with us.  He and The Husband had a guys' night out Friday night, going to the theater to watch a movie.  He spent the night with us Friday night.  Since he was small enough to sit up in a highchair, he has loved breakfast at our house, so yesterday morning, we fried bacon and made mushroom/bacon/green onion/cheese omelets.  (Now that he's 15, his palate his matured.)  ;)  Later in the afternoon, I took him to a video game store.  The plan was to run by his house for clean clothes on the way home.  But when he got home, he discovered that he did not have any clean clothes, so he chose to stay home instead of coming back to our house.  I suspect the new video game had something to do with his decision.  

On another happy note, take a look at the tomatoes!


I gave them a dose of fertilizer last week, and they are growing like crazy.  Now, I'm worried that they will be ready to plant in the garden before it's time to plant them.  

At the risk of jinxing myself, I am hoping that we've seen the last of freezing temperatures this spring, and that these tomatoes can go outside to harden off pretty soon.  I really wanted to get and early start this year on prepping the garden soil for planting, but it's rained so much this month that we have not been able to work.  We've still got a couple of weeks before a safe planting date arrives, but it's supposed to rain again this week, which will set us back again.







No comments:

Post a Comment