Sunday, September 24, 2023

Last Day of Summer 2023 - September 22, 2023

The weatherman said that today is the last day of summer.

It's a nice one, so far.  Sun is shining.  Birds are singing.  Bugs are buzzing.  Seventy degrees on the back porch.  

On top of all that, it's Friday, which means it's margarita night.  8-)

If I were any good, I'd get up off my butt and work in the yard on such a beautiful, pleasant day.  Just outside the porch, wispy grass and wild trumpet vine are trying to take over the world.  Out front, rose limbs are grabbing us on the sidewalk.  I should get up off my butt and go do something about the situation, but I probably won't.

I'd rather draw and paint.

This greeting card project is consuming my time.  It gets to the stage where everything is *almost* ready, and then something goes amiss.  More than a week ago, I thought I was ready to print the cards and be done with it, but what came out of the printer in testing was nowhere near as bright and colorful as the original.  I tweaked printer settings, which helped some, but the ink in the printer is cheap, off-brand stuff that might never render the color correctly, so I ordered "real" ink cartridges from the manufacturer.  Hopefully, that will help.

* * * * * * * * 

9/24/2023

Yesterday there was a bluegrass festival at a state park not far from here.  It was the 8th year for that festival, and I believe we have been to all but one of them.  They changed the schedule this year.  Instead of starting in the morning, as usual, this year's festival started at 2 p.m. and lasted until midnight.  Perhaps the reason for the change was that a fairly famous bluegrass artist was on the roster for 6 p.m.

I really wanted to see this performance, but there was a problem: we'd been invited - nay, nearly ORDERED - to attend a wedding that was also set to happen at 6 p.m.  

We considered skipping the wedding but knew it would hurt some feelings.  We eventually decided to go to the wedding and come back to the bluegrass festival.  

It was hard to decide how to dress.  The festival would occur in the middle of a hay field.  The afternoon temperature was expected to be (and was) near 90, which called for shorts and t-shirts, not quite appropriate for a formal wedding, but neither did we want to "dress up" and sweat in our nice clothes.    Considering that the festival did not start until 2 and we'd have to leave for the wedding by 5, we did not want to take time to come home and change clothes between events.  We opted for jeans and an extra shirt to change into after we'd sweated in our t-shirts.

We arrived at the festival, lawn chairs in hand, and paid our admission fees a little after 2 p.m., expecting to find lunch from a food truck.  Only 2 food trucks were there, and one of them was not yet open for business when we arrived.  Eventually, we were able to get a couple of hamburgers on Texas toast and some cheese fries.  ("That'll be $38.00, please.")  

We watched about three performances (with some clogging between acts), changed shirts in the truck, and went to the wedding.  

I was glad that we went to the wedding.  The Sister- and Brother-in-Law came to the wedding and brought Nanny; we 5 people were the only ones present from the groom's family.

At the wedding reception, which included a buffet dinner, an open bar, and loud music and dancing, I said to The Husband, "It would not upset me not to go back to the bluegrass festival."  He agreed, and we came straight home after the bride and groom departed.  

I put on my nightgown and came out to the back porch to listen to the night.  After an afternoon and evening of loud music, it was bliss.












No comments:

Post a Comment