Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Tuesday, my favorite day - SEptember 26, 2023

Until further notice, Tuesday is my favorite day of the week.

The deciding factor is the painting class.

It lasts for two hours, 10 a.m. until noon.

It is full of old ladies, and it's kind of a cool story.

The instructor is 85.  In the early 1980s, she and a friend opened a craft/gift store and taught painting classes there at night.  I took a few of their classes - usually one-time classes in which we all went home with identical painting (except for style/skill).  Over the years, we did landscapes, portraits, and other subjects and learned to use a variety of media.  Over the years, the instructor created a following, a group of 8 - 10 ladies who are loyal class-takers and have become friends.

Fast forward 30 years.  The instructor is now in her 80s.  Walmart and Hobby Lobby have nudged the craft shop aside, and it's hard to make ends meet.  When the instructor decided to retire and close the shop, her loyal following revolted.  This resulted in a compromise: if the ladies would take enough classes to pay the electric bill, the instructor would hold a weekly 2-hour free-style class.  They could paint whatever they wanted to paint, using whatever media and subject, and the instructor would be on hand to advise.

I got in on this deal about two months ago.  Didn't know any of the ladies, except the instructor.  They are a nice group, and a couple of them are hilariously funny.  I would pay the $10 fee just to listen to their banter.  The technical assistance from the instructor is just a bonus.  ;)

I don't know what I'm going to paint today.  I have a sketchbook full of things that might be useful for the greeting card project, which has completely overwhelmed me at this point.  My printer has not yet reproduced a painting in its true colors, and I don't know why.  Could be the software, could be the ink, could be the paper, could be the paint.  Could be the operator/artist.  Having the cards "professionally" printed is out of the question, as I have already spent about a trillion dollars on supplies.  What seemed to be a simple project has turned into a monster.



To heck with it for now.  I think I'll go paint butterflies, or something.






No comments:

Post a Comment