Friday, September 29, 2023

Weekend Getaway - September 29, 2023

You know you're getting old when you plan your weekend getaways around watching the grandchildren compete in sports.

Granddaughter #1, who went off to college six weeks ago, loves animals and wants to be a veterinarian.  Her college advisor told her that participating in some campus clubs could help her get in vet school when the time comes.  Loving horses, she chose to join an equestrian group.  This weekend, the club will be going to Bowling Green, KY for a riding event.  We are planning to drive up there tomorrow to watch her ride.  Her first event is at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow, so we have to get moving early to make it to Bowling Green in time for the event.  

I have a few things to do before we go.  Two weeks ago, #1 sent me a picture from her telephone and asked if I could put it on a sweatshirt for her (her roommate wants one, too).  From a local shop, I ordered two sweatshirts in the school color (a putrid orange).  From another shop, I ordered a heat-press transfer for the design.  The shirt shop ordered long-sleeved t-shirts instead of sweatshirts.  <sigh>  They have ordered the correct shirts, which MIGHT be here today.  If the shirts don't come in today, I will buy the t-shirts, use the transfers on them, take them to her tomorrow, and order more transfers for when the sweatshirts arrive.

Anything for a grandchild, right?

* * * * * * * * 

A couple of months ago, I joined a Facebook group for watercolor artists.  In late August, the moderator issued a challenge:  sketch something - anything - every day during the month of September to improve skills and post the sketches in the forum.  I took on the challenge and am pleased to report that, so far, I have sketched every day.  Several of my sketches even turned into finished paintings that I might be able to use for my greeting card project (which is currently getting nowhere when it comes to actually printing the cards).  

Last night I discovered "Inktober."  Same deal as sketchtember, only with ink.  AND the Inktober challenge comes with daily prompt words, such as "dream," "wander," and "scratchy."  I will probably take on this challenge, too, because I can see that the sketchtember challenge improved my skills and self-discipline (a trait I lack).  

As I was reading through the list of prompts, I began to relate them to a drawing/painting I did yesterday, a picture of a raccoon, sitting up on his hind legs, holding a persimmon.  I decided to create a story around the drawing, using the words from the Inktober prompts.  

Talk about a rabbit hole.

Within minutes of the idea, I was searching Latin names for the critters in my story.  (My raccoon is a procyon lotor, in case you're interested.)  Link-hopping led me to creation stories involving all sorts of animals.  My brain is exploding with ideas, which is not necessarily a good thing, because it side-tracks me from my mission to . . . .

What is it I'm supposed to be doing?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment