Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Butterbeans and Gourds

Yesterday in the big garden, I planted butterbeans and re-planted the skips in the okra row.  I also planted some dinosaur gourds along the fence near the early garden.  We still have a couple of empty rows in each garden.  Somewhere around here is a pack of butternut squash seeds that I could plant, but I can't decide where to put them, or whether I want to deal with the inevitable late-season rush of pumpkin bugs. 

Over the weekend, I noticed blight-like symptoms on two of the tomato plants in the big garden.  Logic tells me that I ought to go ahead and spray all of the tomato plants with fungicide, but, geez, I hate spraying that stuff on our food. 

None of the nine tomato plants in the early garden show signs of fungus (yet).  All of these plants received the "Miss Evelyn" treatment of (1) lime worked into the soil and (2) newspaper on the ground around the plants, pinned in place with wire tomato cages.  The recently-planted tomatoes in the big garden got the same treatment, but they were planted only a week ago, so it's too early to tell how they'll fare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment