Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Terrible Tomatoes

After work yesterday, I checked on the tomato plants in both gardens and was disappointed to find that the leaf spot had progressed in the big garden.  I cut off more leaves and then soaked the plants with liquid copper fungicide, but it was probably wasted effort.  We're supposed to get more rain this week, which will wash off the fungicide and encourage new fungus growth. 

I fear this year's tomato crop may be as dismal as last year's crop.

For the record, it appears that blight/leaf spot treatments should begin before the first signs of disease appear.  Evidently, the stuff doesn't kill fungus that's already inside the leaves.  The web sites I've visited unanimously advise removal of infected leaves before spraying.  I did that last year, to the point that my plants were left with only a few tufts of leaves at the tops.  This resulted in sun-scalded fruit, and still the fungus raged, despite repeated sprayings of fungicide.

I'm about ready to give up on growing tomatoes.  :(

We have gathered a handful of ripe Juliette tomatoes in the past few days and have been watching one big, fat Rutgers tomato begin to ripen.  Yesterday, I found the big one on the ground, half eaten, with tiny claw marks on it.  Mr. Squirrell is the culprit, I expect.  Pop-Pop says he's putting an electric fence around the garden today.  I wonder who'll get electrocuted first - me, or the beasties.

The beans and peas I planted around Memorial Day have sprouted nicely.  The purple hull peas are beginning to send out runners.  No sign, yet, of the gourds or cucumbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment