Thursday, June 24, 2010

Purple Hull Peas

We did our first purple hull pea-picking this evening and got a 5-gallon bucket full of peas.  The Grandmother has been complaining that she has nothing to do.  This ought to keep her occupied for at least part of the day tomorrow. 

I watered the butterbeans and was about to water the green beans when I noticed how grassy the green bean rows were.  While The Husband hammered metal posts in the ground for stringing support wires, I ran the tiller and tidied up those rows.  Hopefully, I can string the wire and set the bamboo canes this weekend.

The second crop of squash is beginning to sprout.  I hope these plants fare better than the first crop, which has collapsed in stringy heaps.

The tomato worms have hatched and have been munching away.  Boy, they can trim up a tomato plant in nothing flat.  Pop-Pop sprayed insecticide on the tomato plants in the big garden to keep the worms at bay, but I have been pulling the worms off the tomato plants in the early garden and squishing them in the dirt.  It TOTALLY grosses me out to touch those worms, and it's even worse the way they pop and squirt green goo when I step on them, but I'd rather pick and squish them than spray poison everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment