Saturday, July 23, 2022

Cucumber City - July 23, 2022

I picked cucumbers after work yesterday.  It was about 100 degrees when I was picking, so I just got enough to make a batch of relish.  I ground them up with peppers and onions and brined the stuff overnight.  Cooked and canned them today.  Got 6.5 pints and a "sample."  


But I knew there were lots more cucumbers in the garden.

I took two pickin' bags to the garden about 3 this afternoon, and filled them both before I'd gotten halfway down the row.  The cucumbers were all BIG, just the right size to make relish.  But between the relish I've canned this year and last year, we've got enough to do us a while.  

So I came home, posted a message on Facebook, and texted some friends.  Ended up giving all that I picked in today's first go-round.  After a friend came to get them, I went back to the garden and filled up two more GIANT plastic bags full of big cucumbers.  

And the vines are still loaded with little ones.

I want some medium-sized ones to make a few jars of pickles.  Going to experiment and try to come up with some hot, sweet dills.  I'll give you the recipe if they turn out to be good.

After I make some pickles, I'm going to pull up the cucumber vines and plant something in their place.

While I was picking cucumbers the second time, The Husband picked purple hull peas.  We got 5 gallons of peas, plus another grocery bag full.  

The Husband noticed that some of the pea vines had aphids, so I mixed up some bug spray and doused them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment