Friday, July 29, 2022

First Ripe Tomato - July 29, 2022

It rained again this morning.  

I was worried that it would rain all day and rain out Granddaughter #1's "band blowout," scheduled for 7 p.m. tonight.  But the skies cleared around noon, and the performance happened as scheduled.

The high school band has been practicing for three weeks in 100-degree weather.  The annual "band blowout" happens at the end of band camp, both to give the parents a sneak preview of the show and to give the kids a chance to perform in front of an audience.  The show is not yet perfect, but it's coming along well.  I am so proud of those kids.  

We took Nanny with us to the band blowout.  When we took her home, I looked toward the garden and thought about the tomatoes ripening on the vine.  For the past few days, I've inspected the almost-ripe tomatoes and said, "One more day . . . ," risking being beaten to them by a raccoon or a squirrel.  But tonight was the night.  Even though the garden was a muddy mess, I kicked off my sandals, waded in, and picked two of the ripest tomatoes.  When I gave one of them to Nanny, she said, "Oh, I don't want to take your first ripe tomato!"  I said, "The one I handed you is the second one I picked, so we're good."  

I kept the ripest one.  

I'd cooked supper before we went to the blowout, but we decided to wait to eat afterward.  While the supper warmed, I sliced that ripe tomato and laid the thick slices on our plates.  Salted and peppered them.

MMMmmmmm.  It was worth the wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment