Monday, July 11, 2022

Driving Lessons and Lice - July 11, 2022

What an enjoyable weekend we had!

The Grandson came over Friday afternoon and spent the entire weekend with us.  I picked him up a little after noon and took him to lunch.  He is 15 and eager to learn to drive.  As we got within a few miles of my house, he asked if he could drive the rest of the way home, and I said yes.  We were in my Patriot; it is a stick-shift.  It took him a few tries to get the car rolling.  ;)  Later that evening, we went for a drive in the Wrangler, which has an automatic transmission.  That lesson went a little better.  

Saturday evening, all the rest of the kids and grandkids came over, except Son #2, who was working.  We had pizza and ice cream.  It was so good to have all the grandchildren at the house.  The curly-headed Little Rotten Baby was in rare form.  At one point, as she was pitching a fit about something, I picked a children's book from the stack, sat down in the rocking chair, and announced, "I think I'll read a book."  The fit stopped, as if a switch had been flipped, and she came running to me, climbed up in my lap, and quietly settled in.  What a faker she is!  

Because it was so hot last week, I did not go anywhere near the garden.  Yesterday afternoon, as I was reading messages in a gardening group and saw a mention of cucumbers, I suddenly remembered our cucumbers.  We'd picked a few a week ago, but there were many more little ones coming on.  Certain that those little ones had grown to the size of baseball bats, I jumped up, put on my gardening shoes, and went to the garden.  Sure enough, the cucumber vines were loaded with big cucumbers.  I picked three plastic grocery bags full.  Gave one bag to Nanny, who wants to make a batch of cucumber relish.  I, too, want to make cucumber relish, but not today, so I sent the rest of the cucumbers to work with The Husband this morning.  There should be enough cucumbers to make relish by the weekend.

The cucumbers are planted next to the purple hull peas.  As I was picking the cucumbers, I glanced over and saw lice all over the peas.  I also saw worm poop around one of the tomato plants.  This required immediate action.  Because my sprayer is so persnickety, it took nearly two hours to apply the bug killer.  

There's a lot more work to do in the garden when I come home from work today.  The tomato vines need to be tied to their supports, and after last week's watering, the grass is getting thick.  

We may have to eat a late dinner of sandwiches tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment