Monday, August 7, 2023

Grandchildren Rule - August 7, 2023

Grandchildren commandeered our time this past weekend.  That was okay with us, for there's not much we'd rather do than hang out with them.

Toward the end of the week, The Grandson texted me to ask if I would take him shopping for school supplies.  (School starts today.)  Of course, I agreed, and told him we'd do go shopping Sunday, as Saturday was already booked with doings for Granddaughter #2's 13th birthday party.  

I picked The Grandson up around noon Saturday, and we went to the bakery to pick up the birthday cake.  We delivered it, then came home, picked up Nanny and The Husband, and went back to the birthday party.

#2 is a lovely girl.  She inherited her looks and her physique - long and lean - from her other grandmother.  And she is smart, a straight-A student.  For the past two years, she's been on her middle school's track team and in the band (trumpet player).  This year, she is on the volleyball team.  I hope she chose to remain in the band this year - her band director absolutely forbade her to quit - and will continue through high school.  

Having raised only boys, and having lived half a century since I was 13, I had no clue what gifts today's 13-year-old girls might want.  #2 was kind enough to supply me with links to things she'd like to have, an "instant" camera kit and a fake fingernails kit.  (The camera request amused me, for I was about her age when someone gave me a Polaroid instant camera for Christmas, one of the few gifts I specifically remember.)  It was fun to watch her open her presents, fun to see what she got:  jewelry, perfume, creams and lotions and hair stuff and make-up.  Sounds about right for 13, I guess.  :)

After the party, The Grandson came home with us to spend the night.  We played a little Zelda together for old times' sake.  At 16, he is 6'3" tall.  Like his father, he went through a period of chubbiness in his middle school years, but now he's lean, and handsome with a head full of curly dark hair.  We spent a lot of time talking - politics, future plans, family stories, all kinds of things.  I'm proud of his intellect and his politeness.  He's a good kid.  

After Sunday breakfast, we loafed a while, then went shopping.  It is hard to believe how expensive it is these days to get a kid ready for school.  The supply list is extensive.  While The Grandson and The Husband shopped for school supplies, I shopped for groceries.  We finished at the same time and took our separate carts through neighboring check-out lanes.  The school supplies cost half again as much the groceries.

We dropped The Grandson off at his house after the shopping trip, came home, and went back to acting like old people.



No comments:

Post a Comment