Thursday, September 10, 2020

Making Plans - September 10, 2020

We walked down to Nanny's tonight before supper to stretch our legs a little and to check the mole trap.  The moles have been doing a number on her yard, and I've been trying to catch one for about a month.  I finally caught one yesterday, a big, fat, juicy one, and re-set the trap.  Nothing today.  

I did a quick garden tour while I was down there.  The butterbeans have finally started to bloom.  We'll be picking a few purple hull peas for another couple of weeks.  There are still a lot of small tomatoes on the vines.  I'll probably do something with them - spaghetti sauce, or something - over the weekend.  I've thrown away a ton of tomatoes that were like little water balloons from all the rain.  The squash are still blooming, but don't seem to be producing a lot.  The okra is still doing its thing.  I found a couple of carrots among the grass and tried to clear the grass from around them.  I hate to pull up the grass for fear of pulling up microscopic carrot sprouts or seeds that still might sprout.

I'm going to plant turnip greens this weekend, if it doesn't rain.  This will require more grass-pulling and tilling before I start planting.  But I love to run the tiller, and I need the exercise, anyway.

What will I do when the gardening is over?

I need to start considering some long-term plans, not just for gardening or exercise, but for how I'm going to spend my time in two years, when The Boss retires and I will be out of a job.  When that happens, I will lack two years and one month reaching my 30th year on this job.  Pension benefits top out at 30 years.  I'd like to find another state or county job to finish out my 30 years, but who knows if that'll happen.  I will be a few years away from drawing retirement when my job ends in two years.  

I gotta find something to do once I'm unemployed.  

Tonight on television there was a show about some business owners that run restaurants and coffee shops and such.  Those people had passion for what they do - feeding folks healthy food, creating comfortable spaces for the community to gather, giving back to the community.  I envy their passion, for I can't think of one thing that gives me that kind of "juice."  I dabble in lots of things, but am not particularly good at anything and don't get enjoyment from my dabbling beyond momentary relief from boredom.  

Can passion be cultivated, or is it an innate trait?  I don't know.

But I need to be thinking.







No comments:

Post a Comment