Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Turnip Greens Planted - September 16, 2020

 

Every day, when I look through the screen door from my perch on the back porch, the potato plants in the tub get sparser and sparser.  (Is "sparser" even a word?)  Yesterday, three plants remained of the dozen I originally planted.  Today, the healthiest of the three is nothing but a stick.  Here's the devil that did it:


Who knew tomato worms would eat potato plants?

I just can't have nice things.

I went to the garden about 3:30 this afternoon to work on the turnip green patch.  Pulled up another wagon load of grass, and there's at least another wagon load still growing.  

For the first time this year, I almost got over-heated.  When it's seriously hot outside, I wait until the garden is in shade, but it didn't seem all that hot today.  I had on my red straw hat (which a hummingbird investigated for a few seconds) and long pants (to keep the mosquitoes from feasting on me like they did yesterday when I was wearing shorts), and I worked, bent over, with my back to the sun.  When I raised up, my world went sideways for a minute, and kept going that way for longer than I expected.  I carefully made my way to the refrigerator in the big shop, where I've stored some bottled water, and went back out to sit in the shade to cool off.  After a few minutes, I was good to go again.

I ended up planting a 2-feet-wide x 10-feet long strip of turnip greens.  If it doesn't rain tonight, I may plant another one just like it tomorrow.  There'll still be room for another strip, but I might plant lettuce in it instead of turnip greens.




No comments:

Post a Comment