Tuesday, September 22, 2020

School Day - September 22, 2020

 

Yesterday was The Granddaughters' first day in their new schools.  

Granddaughter #1 is in high school, and hers was the first face I saw when they all got home.  "How did school go?" I asked her.  "Fine," she said, and proceeded to show me her class schedule and tell me the highlights.  

A few minutes later, Granddaughter #2 appeared.  "I made FIVE new friends today!" she said, and rattled off their names.

Snaggle-toothed Granddaughter #3 was not far behind the others.  She has hated every day of school since pre-K.  "How was your day?" I asked.  "Good," she said, grinning.  "Did you make any new friends?"  She nodded emphatically.  I asked her their names.  She ducked her head and said, "Ummmm...I don't know."  Maybe she'll learn their names today.

Their dad, who doesn't start his new job until next week, had spent most of the day cleaning off the fence row along Nanny's long driveway.  He had run the weed-eater and the chainsaw, cutting down saplings and poison ivy that had long ago gotten out of control.  Nanny had hovered nearby most of the day, fearful that he would cut off one of his own limbs with the chainsaw.

I made a giant chicken pot pie for dinner.  The grown-ups finished off Sunday's purple hull peas, and the girls finished off the meat loaf.

After dinner, we sat on the back porch in the cool evening air until bedtime.  

It was nice.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment