Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Kitchen Table Musings - February 8, 2021

 

I spent the whole weekend at the kitchen table, trying to learn how to use Inkscape, a graphics program.  Thank goodness for YouTube videos (in this endeavor and many others).  

You see, I've been trying to come up with a way to use the new heat-press machine for something other than t-shirts for the grandchildren, the point being to make the machine pay for itself and all of the crap I had to buy to go with it (the pipe dream of all crafters).  I spent some time adding up material costs and figured I could make a little money with t-shirts IF I could come up with designs that would sell.  

I've had an idea about a cartoon character (of my own creation) combined with a realistic Jeep image.  Combining the two proved to be a challenge, hence the need for the weekend spent trying to learn enough Inkscape to get the job done.  

While pondering, I had a thought that excited me; I could do up some shirts and sell them at a Jeep rally that we've attended a few times.  I had no clue what a vendor booth might cost, or if space was still available, but I fired off an email to the dude reportedly in charge of such things.  Haven't heard back from him, yet.  Haven't heard back from the Jeep club as to whether I can use their name/logo.  

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that the designs I was pondering to put on shirts to sell was most likely a violation of some copyright/trademark law.  I did some research and concluded that using a Jeep image (or even the word "Jeep") in my designs could get me sued, or at least get me a "cease and desist" letter.  So, nix those Jeep-related designs. 

Back to square one.



No comments:

Post a Comment