Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Snowpacolypse 2021 - Day 7

Is it Wednesday?  I'm having trouble keeping up.

The Husband has attempted a trip to his office today, and I am alone in the house for the first time in more than a week.  The roads are terrible.  Out in the boonies where I live, there's no chance of having a road crew come by with a snow plow or salt.  The Husband drove my Wrangler to work, thinking it would be more stable than his 4 x 4 truck.  He will be in trouble if he wrecks my Jeep.  ;)

Today I am trying to finish a quilt top I started for my granddaughter more than a year ago.  I finished the blocks some time ago.  Yesterday, I sewed the blocks together in strips.  Today, the plan is to sew the strips together.

I should kick myself for attempting this pattern, and then I should kick myself again for the way I decided to assemble the blocks.  

My first mistake was to let the granddaughter pick one piece of fabric around which I would build the entire quilt.  She picked a diagonal stripe, shades of blue and green, interspersed with black.  At first glance, the colors appear neon, but when viewed individually, the colors are actually more pastel.  I had a devil of a time picking out coordinating fabrics.

What to do with the stripe presented another challenge.  Certainly, the fabric would make a nice border, but I wanted something a little more imaginative.  I ended up cutting triangles out of the striped fabric and re-assembling them into squares.  This was mistake #2.  No matter how you slice them, triangles will have a bias edge.  Bias edges stretch.  It takes 4 triangles to make the block I envisioned; this quadruples the stretch problem.  It was a royal pain in the ass to cut those triangles so that the colors would match up, and that black stripe in the fabric makes every little mis-matched seam scream "look at me!"  My measuring/cutting/sewing skills were not quite up to the task.

For the alternating blocks, I chose a version of a log cabin pattern.  In case you don't know, log cabin patterns are made up of one square and a bunch of skinny strips.  They can be assembled in various ways.  I chose to assemble them so that, if I chose my colors correctly, they would have a 3-D effect.  I thought that this 3-D effect, coupled with the eye-crossing striped blocks, would look kind of cool. If you're counting, this was mistake #3. The more pieces a quilt block has, the bigger the chance that the assembled block will be "wonky."  Generating multiple blocks of exactly-matching size is above my pay grade.    

But I pressed on.

By last summer, I had built all 50 of the blocks.  I pinned them to a big piece of quilt batting, and the next time the granddaughter came over, I was excited to show her how the quilt was going to look when the blocks were sewn together.  



The look on her face made it obvious that she did not like the quilt.  She ended up confessing (for the first time) that what she really wanted was a Marvel Comics superhero quilt.  We'll talk about that later.  I decided I'd keep the quilt for myself.  

Mistake #4 was deciding to turn the blocks "on point" so that they presented as diamonds instead of squares.  To get the effect I wanted, every log cabin block had to be turned in the same direction, with the light-colored square at the bottom of the block.  I can't tell you how many times I sewed a log cabin block upside-down in the strips.  Turning the blocks on point meant that the outer edges of the quilt were jagged, and I have to cut more triangles to fill the jags.  


I would prefer to fill those jags with striped triangles instead of a solid color, but that would require more sewing, more cutting, more frustration, so I decided to use one of the colors from the log cabin blocks.  Because my sewing room is in such a mess, finding the left-over fabrics was a challenge.  I'd prefer to use the light blue (the outer edges of the log cabin blocks), but only the green fabric had enough yardage to make the number of triangles I need to fill in the jags.


When I finally get this sucker assembled, I'm taking it to someone else to quilt and bind.



No comments:

Post a Comment