Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Progress - February 15, 2021

I woke up yesterday morning determined to be productive.  Specifically, I intended to clean up and organize my sewing/craft room.

On the way to the coffee pot, I glanced out of the living room window.  A gang of brown-headed cowbirds had commandeered the bird feeder.  Several cardinals were perched on nearby limbs, complaining without effect.  Little wrens and chickadees were hopping around on the ground, looking for remnants of the seeds that had spilled onto the ground Tuesday night when a burglar tore into the bird feeder, but the pickings were slim.  I put on some shoes and went outside to scatter more seeds on the ice so that the little birds didn't have to contend with the bullies.

Mid-morning, a friend called, and we had a marathon phone conversation.  By the end of our chat, we had both committed to doing something useful before the day was over.  After we hung up, I headed to the sewing room.

Back in the summer, I'd embroidered a set of farm animal placemats for my son's house.  Weeds (months?) later, I sewed backing and binding onto them, but I did not finish the binding process.  In December, I considered finishing the placemats and giving them to my son for Christmas, but I only finished one of the six placemats.  Yesterday I finished them, and added a "hot pad" embroidered with an image of my grandfather's barn..  



While I was on a roll, I decided to finish the quilt I'd started for him several years ago.  All it lacked was binding.  Amazingly, I actually found both the quilt and the binding that I had cut when I was cutting out the quilt pieces.  It took a couple of hours to sew the binding on the quilt, but it is now folded and ready to give to him this weekend, just in time for his 40th birthday.


The plastic tub where I'd stored the quilt is still full of UFOs (unfinished objects).  Since I expect to be snowed in for several more days, I think I'll try to empty that tub.



No comments:

Post a Comment