Sunday, October 31, 2021

Busy - October 31, 2021

 As I was writing the previous post (while the lasagna sauce was simmering on the stove), Son #2 called.  The Little Rotten Baby was running a fever, and her mom was taking her to the doctor.  Could I pick up their 7-year-old from school at 3?  Of course I said yes.  About 15 minutes later, Son #2 called back.  Could I pick up their grocery store order between 3 and 4?  Certainly, I could.  At 2:45, I turned off the stove and went to get The Nugget.  She rode to the grocery store with me, and then I took her and the groceries home.  Mom and the LRB were home by then.  The doctor had said the baby had a virus.

It was after 5 by the time I came back home.  I immediately re-started the stove.  Boiled the noodles and assembled the lasagna, then started on the ice cream custard.  I cooked the brown sugar a bit too long, and so the Butter-Pecan ice cream custard turned into Caramel-Pecan custard.  But it was mighty tasty, so I ran with it.  Next, I made the meat/cheese filling for the hanky pankies.  It was nearly 8:00 by the time I finished.

Yesterday morning, I had to make a grocery store run for things I'd forgotten the day before.  When I got home, I started the ice cream freezer, and began assembling the hanky pankies.  While I did this, The Husband went to the place where we were having the 2 p.m. "do" to help set up tables.  About noon, I loaded all the food into my car and headed to the party site.  About 2, the guests started rolling in.  


It was a nice party.  Food galore.  Everybody was relaxed and happy.  About 6:30, I threw in the towel and came home.

Granddaughter #1 was participating in a band competition and was scheduled to march at 7 p.m.  I rushed home just in time to set up my laptop on the back porch and see "our" band take the field.  By this time, it was dark and a bit chilly.  When The Husband came home a few minutes later, we decided it was too cold to stay on the porch, so we went inside and started trying to figure out how to get the band competition to stream on the television.  

Two old people trying to work a television that takes FOUR remote controls to operate was a mess.  During the process, I couldn't help but giggle about The Nugget's comment the last time she was here and wanted to watch cartoons:  "Grandmama, why are old people's TVs SO HARD TO WORK."  And then she quickly added, "But I'm not saying you're old."

We finally got the band competition on the TV.  

We came in second.







No comments:

Post a Comment