Friday, October 29, 2021

In the Kitchen - October 29, 2021

There's a family pot-luck "do" happening this weekend.  I decided to take home-made lasagna and maybe home-made butter pecan ice cream.  Over the past couple of days, I've had a couple of other requests; one wants pecan cobbler, and one wants "hanky-pankies."  

The ice cream may not get made, but it sure would be good with pecan cobbler, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, the ice cream might have to be an emergency substitution.  This pecan cobbler is crawling of the pan. 

I see an oven-cleaning in my future.

It might be my fault.  I doubled the recipe.  Well, kinda doubled it.

I've made this cobbler several times.  It is good, and easy to make - one of those "DO NOT STIR" recipes that goes in the pan in layers.  The weird thing about it is that the very last ingredient is 1.5 cups of hot water, poured over the whole she-bang.  This hot water, poured over 1.5 cups of brown sugar, makes a lovely, slightly crispy topping.  Yum.  

I doubled everything - butter, pecans, batter, brown sugar - until I got to the hot water.  Did I really need to pour THREE CUPS of hot water on top?  

I stopped at two, and put it in the oven.

When the buzzer went off after 35 minutes - well, see the picture.

It was kind of jiggly.  But an un-doubled recipe is generally jiggly after 35 minutes, too.

I baked it another 8 minutes.  It's still a little jiggly.  I don't know whether to cook it a little more, or leave it alone.  I pinched off the stuff dripping down the side; it's pleasantly chewy.  

Maybe I'll wait and see how it's acting tomorrow.

Maybe I ought to be finding that ice cream recipe, too.  The custard will have to cool before it's used, so I'd better do that tonight, if I'm going to do it.

Lasagna sauce is simmering on the stove.

Hanky pankies might have to wait until tomorrow morning.






No comments:

Post a Comment