Sunday, April 24, 2022

De-Bugging - April 24, 2022

By this time of night, my brain is usually too mushy to type a coherent sentence.  But today's doings necessitated a shower before bed (explanation to follow), and now I've caught a second wind.

It's been a busy day, thanks to the stinkbugs.

I came out to the porch with my first cup of coffee.  The porch screens were once again crawling with stinkbugs.  They nearly drove me nuts buzzing my head.  I went back inside, cooked breakfast, and came back out after we ate, determined to kill the bugs with a flyswatter.  When they were all dead (or so I thought), the floor was littered with carcasses.  I swept them up with a broom, dumped them in a trash bag, sealed it up tight, and took it outside to the garbage can.  

The sweeping led to a general porch-cleaning and reorganization.  By the time I was finished, the porch screens were once again crawling with stinkbugs.  I went inside and got the vacuum cleaner, and came out and sucked up every bug I could find.  Having the vacuum cleaner handy led to cleaning things I'd missed the first go-'round.  This, in turn, led to me griping about the screen door that didn't fit properly and the ceiling fan that has quit working.  I cajoled The Husband into going to the hardware store for a new door and a new fan.

When we got home, the stinkbugs were back on the screens.  I vacuumed them again.  We hung the new door.  I vacuumed more bugs.  Jesus Christ, where are these things coming from?  

It occurred to me that they might have somehow escaped from the vacuum cleaner.  There were dozens and dozens of live ones crawling around in the canister.  I was planning to leave them in there until they starved to death, but . . . .  Maybe I should drown them.  I mixed up a bucket of soapy water and emptied the canister into it.  When I went back to check on it a few minutes later, I could see antennae moving among the suds like a bunch of mini-snorkels, and one bug was trying to crawl up the side of the bucket.  Oh, HELL NO!  A good cupful of Clorox put a stop to that action.

Tired of the de-bugging, I went inside to fix us some supper.  After we ate, I settled in to watch the season finale of Sanditon.  And the whole time, through dinner and the tv show, I could smell stinkbug stink.  It permeated my clothes and my hair.  Hence the shower.

I'm on the porch now.  There's another stinkbug in here.  I hear him buzzing.

He's gonna get it tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment