Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Sunday night, as I was surfing the web on the back porch, I heard some scratching/scampering in the cabinet behind my chair.  A mouse, most likely; based on experience, a snake in the cabinet would make more of a thumping/bumping noise.  The next morning, I baited a mouse trap with peanut butter and slid it in place beside the cabinet.  

We are still being pestered with stinkbugs.  The population seems to be decreasing, but we are vacuuming a few dozen off the porch screens each day.  The vacuum cleaner stays on the porch, plugged in, ready for action.

Last night on the porch, stinkbugs kept swarming my laptop screen, buzzing me, landing in my hair.  The vacuum cleaner was handy, so every few minutes I'd grab the wand and dispatch the offenders.  While I was wrangling with the stinkbugs, the mouse trap, which was about two feet away, snapped and rattled.  Scared the bejeezus out of me.  I grabbed the flashlight and shined it at the trap.   The mouse was not actually in the trap but was staggering around near my feet, squirming and twitching, needing to be finished off.  I was hollering, "Oh!  Oh!  OH!" and trying to figure out how to keep it from getting away.  I could've clubbed it with the flashlight but didn't want to do it.  

I jumped up to go get The Husband, who was watching TV in the living room.  By the time I got to the back door, he had come to see what the commotion was about.  

The mouse, by then, had seemingly given up his ghost, but The Husband was reluctant to touch it for fear that it was just stunned and would come to life in his hand.  There was a pair of grill tongs in a basket on the cabinet, and he used them to pick up the mouse and take it away.

No, they are NOT the tongs we use for grilling.  ;)

I have about had it with critters invading my space.  And, out of the corner of my eye, I just saw something move - a big lizard.  Maybe he'll eat the stinkbugs.






No comments:

Post a Comment