Tuesday, April 25, 2023

The Keeper - April 25, 2023

Our house is probably cleaner than it has been in years, thanks to the flooring project.

I have never been a good housekeeper - not when it comes to the deep-down stuff, like baseboards, ceiling fans, and the tops of tall cabinets.  When the flooring work began, it had probably been three months since I'd vacuumed behind the couch.  The baseboards had grown fur in the interim.  Even behind the television cabinet, where I'd cleaned just a couple of weeks ago after Duffy the GrandCat knocked a violet off the nearby windowsill, there were cobwebs.  How could this have happened so soon???  I was ashamed for the workers to see it.

And do you know what else was everywhere?  Spider sh*t.  Seriously.  Little "dustings" of white specks in dark corners, behind heavy furniture that is not often moved.  There were even spider egg sacs on the back of the bookcase and under the extension on my sewing-machine table.  We hardly ever see a spider, and when we do, we kill it.  Yet, evidently, a bunch of them live here, undetected except for their poop.  It gives me the creeps to think about it, and I have been on a spider-hunting mission since the flooring went down.  I started with the back porch this weekend and worked my way through the house.  Everything but the beds has been turned upside-down and vacuumed, and I may get to those today.

* * * * * * * * 

Saturday, when I began the porch-cleaning project, there were still some things on the porch that belonged in the house.  Among them were four metal support pieces of my quilting frame.  We disassembled the quilting frame several years ago after I sewed through my pinky finger and got squeamish about machine quilting.  Pieces of the frame have been stashed all over the sewing room.  These four metal support pieces are big, and not easy to stash.  I have toyed with the idea of selling the frame, or giving it away, but I am no longer sure I can find all the parts.  Saturday, when I encountered them on the porch, I made a deal with myself: if the support pieces would fit in a certain corner in the sewing room, I'd keep the frame; otherwise, I'd take it to Goodwill.  

Here's what happened:


I guess I'm keeping it.  :-\





No comments:

Post a Comment