Monday, August 24, 2026

Mole Madness - August 24, 2026

For the past month or so, new mole hills have popped up in our backyard almost every day.  These are not your standard mole trails; these are mole MOUNTAINS, foot-high piles of loose dirt.  I've been setting traps to no avail.  

Yesterday afternoon, as I sat here looking out at the backyard, something in my brain snapped.  I went to the shed, got a shovel, and started digging.  When I finally dug down to where I could see an actual hole, I channeled my father-in-law and went to get the water hoses.  These mole hills are at least 150 feet from the nearest outdoor hydrant.  It took FOUR 50-ft hoses to reach them all.  I was about worn out by the time I strung all the hoses together and turned on the water, but I was determined.

I jabbed the end of the hose into every hill and tunnel I could find and filled them until they either backed up or sprung a leak in a tunnel downstream.  By the time I was done, the whole area was soup.  I lost my crocks in it a time or two as I tried to stomp down all the tunnels.  The exercise must have taken two hours.  I never did see a mole surface, gasping for breath.  I hoped I had drowned them all in their lairs.  

This morning, I took a stroll to check for new digging, and there were places where one or more moles had re-opened a tunnel.  I set traps in them.  

If I don't catch a mole today, I may consider dynamite.




No comments:

Post a Comment