Monday, August 10, 2026

Weekend - August 10, 2025

I'm sitting here on the back porch, looking out at the back yard, which is strewn with glass clippings from the weekend mowing.  Mounds of grass clippings, which is highly unusual considering that we never had much grass in our back yard - only a variety of wild ground coverings, like clover, creeping charlie, henbit, etc.  I believe the bird feeder is to blame for this new grass.

I should have raked the grass clippings after I mowed, but it started to drizzle just as I was starting on the last section of the yard.  The drizzle didn't last long, but by the time I figured out that a drizzle was all we were going to get, I'd already showered and changed clothes and didn't want to expose my clean self to a new barrage of chiggers.  I should rake them and compost them today . . . but I probably won't.  It's going to be hot again.

Yesterday, there was a birthday party across the road for Granddaughter #2, who recently turned 16.  The theme was an Hawaiian luau.  Grass skirts and leis for everybody.  The Husband took his ukulele for the "Happy Birthday" song.  #2 seemed a little mortified.  It was kind of funny.  ;)

Granddaughter #4, formerly known as the Little Rotten Baby, started kindergarten today. The LRB is gung-ho about it.  Her mom is about to have a come-apart as the last chick leaves the nest.  For the first week or two, the moms get to walk the students to their class.  I think my daughter-in-law was relieved - and also a little sad - that the LRB went into the classroom, took a seat, and never looked back.  I'll walk across the road later today to quiz the kid on how her day went.

Last week, I ordered jewelry display items JUST IN CASE I work up the nerve to actually try to sell some of the stuff I've made so far this year.  I got an earring rack with 64 hooks, some necklace displays, a ring display, and a bracelet display.  They came yesterday, and I started filling them.  The earring rack is almost full, as is one of the necklace displays.  And there is a pile of pendants that still need to be strung.  I haven't started on the rings, yet.  Or the bracelets.

The sad part is that I don't *love* any of this stuff.  Wouldn't wear it to a cat fight, as they say.  Not my personal style.  It'll be hard for me to try to sell this stuff with a straight face.



No comments:

Post a Comment