Monday, July 10, 2023

Birthday Doings - July 9, 2023

Another birthday weekend in the books.

Saturday was a fairly lovely day - a bit of sunshine, a bit of rain - and The Husband and I had nothing on our schedules.  To be honest, I was moving kind of slow Saturday morning, thanks to too much food and too many margaritas Friday night.  When we went out to dinner with the Sister- and Brother-in-Law, all I'd eaten all day was a piece of toast, and I was starving by dinnertime.  I probably ate a whole basket of tortilla chips by myself and drank two small frozen margaritas (2-for-1 special, you know).  At midnight, I woke up parched and got up and drank some water.  About two hours later, I woke up, lying flat on my stomach, with my gullet on fire and all that stuff trying to come back up.  Blech.  I got up, took some antacid, and sat up reading for an hour before going back to bed.  The coffee pot woke me up at 6.  When the sun came up, I came out to the porch to work on a little watercolor painting I'd started the day before.

I am loving watercolor.  It suits my constitution.  

I'll be brave and show you the picture I was working on:



Here's the photo I worked from:


These are Granddaughters 2 and 3, painting flowers on our compost bin.  

Here is the current view of the compost bin from where I sit on the back porch:


Makes me smile to see it.  

Anyway . . . . 

After I worked on the painting Saturday morning, I decided it was awful.  The bin is lop-sided - but it kind of is - and #3's butt is too big or too colorful, or something, and her shoulder is too high.  My plan was to let it dry again and work on it some more.  The shoulder probably couldn't be fixed at that point, but the butt could be toned down, and I wanted to add some pen & ink details in the foliage.  

But they were over here last night, and I got brave and showed it to them, and they both went, "Awwwwwh! in the way little girls do.  #3 said she wanted it (we did not discuss the big vibrant butt), so I tore it out of the sketchbook and gave it to her.  I guess we can call it "finished" now.  

That might be a milestone in my painting career.  ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment