Friday, July 14, 2023

Confused - July 14, 2023

Yesterday started off rainy, but it didn't last long, and the sun came out and made the back porch into a sauna.  

The day before had been my usual "office day."  I pretty much despise office day.  It's not the getting up and getting dressed and leaving the house by a certain time that bothers me.  It's not the people in the office that bother me.  It's mostly just being somewhere other than here, where I have so many things I need to do and so many more I'd like to do.  It's also the fact that I don't have - and never have had with this job - my own workspace.  My "desk" is more or less a sofa table set in the middle of the lobby.  With people coming and going, concentration is impossible.  Anyway . . . .

Wednesday, The New Boss's secretary said, "We have a project for you."  I was thrilled.  "You're going to be in charge of the community garden."  I was thrilled again.  I'd gotten wind of a community garden project and had been researching how, where, when, why to do it.  I'd been pondering soil tests and materials for paths and usage agreements.  

The secretary gave me the name of a person who was interested in donating the land for the project.  I emailed him yesterday and invited him to call me, which he did before long.  

It turns out that he had gotten the ball rolling on the community garden.  Soil tests have been done.  Local FFA clubs and scout troops have pledged involvement.  Several garden plots have already been reserved.   

What I'm to be "in charge of" is not the creation of the community garden but the maintenance of a 10 x 10 garden plot.

Oh goody.  

This is what I get for complaining about having little work to do.

(Are they trying to run me off?)

But I was ready to get started.  Made a list of plants that can produce a crop between now and the time to plant turnip greens.  Made plans to go to the greenhouse today for seeds/plants.  Pondered how I would get The Big Black Tiller to the plot.  

Then I found out that the plots will not be available for planting until March.

<sigh>

This made me inordinately frustrated.  I could tell you why, but it would just frustrate me more, and it would bore you.  Come to think of it, you're probably already bored.

Anyway . . . . 

About 1 p.m. yesterday, I decided to work off some frustration.  I'd bought some perennials - echinacea, black-eyed Susans, and a wrinkly daisy - and they'd been wilting on the porch for a couple of days.  When I bought them, the plan was to put them in the phlox bed, gradually phasing out some of the phlox (which are out of control).  It took about an hour to remove some phlox, plant the perennials, and re-plant the spring bulbs that got dug up in the process.  

During this time, I decided to invite the kids and grandkids to eat white beans and cornbread with us for dinner.  White beans and cornbread turned in to a big meatloaf, white beans, slaw, and jalapeno/cheese cornbread.  One set of young'uns was too busy to come eat, but the other set did.  We had a nice dinner.

This morning a storm is coming.  The yard is as dark as dusk, and my phone just announced that "lightning has been detected in [my] area.  

I think I'll go inside for a while.





No comments:

Post a Comment