Wednesday, July 12, 2023

White Beans - July 11, 2023

I'd planned to cook squash for supper last night, but when I opened the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator, there were no squash in it.  I was puzzled - we'd picked squash the prior evening - until I recalled seeing The Husband carrying a plastic bag when he went to work.  He'd taken the squash to give to co-workers.  

No big deal, I'd just go pick more.  I jumped in the car and went to the garden.  

There was ONE squash in the garden big enough to pick.  I got it, and also cut a few small okra pods (we'd picked those, too, the day before).  While moving around, I discovered that the Great Northern Beans ("white beans" in these parts) were ready.  

The ground was wet, and ants and mosquitoes were eating me up, and I wasn't about to squat down and start picking beans.  I decided, instead, to pull the plants up and pick the beans at home.  I pulled the big yard wagon to the garden and filled it to the brim with bean plants.  Tied it to the bumper of my car to get it home.  After dinner, we picked the beans and got a 5-gallon bucket full.  Some were not quite filled out and some were past ready, but there should be enough beans for a meal or two and some to give to Nanny or put in the freezer.

We'll be shelling beans after dinner tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment