Tuesday, July 4, 2023

July 4, 2023

Happy Independence Day.  

Later today we will be going to Cousin Gus' house for barbeque.  He cooks the meat, the guests bring the sides and desserts.  Our contribution this year will be a chilled watermelon and a freezer of homemade strawberry ice cream and a box of waffle cones.  The ice cream is already made and "ripening." 

While I was scurrying around, collecting equipment and ingredients for the ice cream, I noticed that the "plant incubator" had some new sprouts in it.  



The big sprout is a pumpkin.  It has sprouted since yesterday.  The empty-looking pot has more pumpkin seeds of a different type.  I planted big jack-o-lantern pumpkin seeds in one pot and mini-pumpkin seeds in the other.  I'm not sure which one has already sprouted.  Though I to recall saying to myself, "Little pumpkins on the (L)eft," I also seem to recall looking at the one on the right while I said it.  So who knows?  Doesn't matter.  I'll figure it out as they grow.

The little pot in the back with the small seedling is mallow - the pink/white striped one.  A lady once gave me a few mallow seedlings from her garden, but they died.  If these do well, they'll go in the zinnia bed.  If not, I still have seeds and will plant them in the ground next spring.

The two plastic-wrap-covered containers have African violet seeds in them.  (The magnifying glass is for looking for tiny plants.)  I planted these seeds almost two months ago from seed pods that developed on two of my plants.  It seems they should have sprouted by now.  Internet searches said from one week to nine weeks, so who knows?  I will leave them alone for another month, then toss them if they haven't sprouted.  But I will be very disappointed to do that.




No comments:

Post a Comment