Sunday, July 30, 2023

Jelly and Okra and Peas - July 30, 2023

I got my tail in gear yesterday and canned pepper jelly and pickled okra.  The Husband and I also shelled the peas that I picked Friday, and they're already blanched and in the freezer.

Cross your fingers for the pickled okra.  This is my second attempt (in my whole life) pickling okra.  The first one turned out a little floppy and sad.  Pickled okra should not be floppy and sad.  This time, I soaked the okra overnight in pickling lime water.  If the canning process didn't make it floppy, it should be okay.  Since this was an experiment, I only made 3 jars.  Although I stuffed the pods into the jars as tightly as I could, they still floated - there's about an inch of brine showing below the pods.  Oh well.  Next time, if there is a next time, I'll use taller pods.  After August 28, we'll find out if the pickling lime worked.



No comments:

Post a Comment