Thursday, May 27, 2021

 All day yesterday I was mad about the critter digging up my rose bush.  During a break in the rain, I discovered that he had also dug up the tomato that the Tomato Fairy had left in our driveway over the weekend.  

I spent the whole day planning revenge.

When The Husband came home, I sent him to fetch the trail cam from the garden.  He came back with the cam and a live trap.

We strapped the camera to the trailer hitch on my Wrangler and pointed it at the re-planted rose bush.  The Husband set the live trap near the rose bush.  He had the bright idea to bait the live trap with dirt - yes, DIRT - rationalizing that since the animal liked dirt so much . . . .   Yeah, that didn't work.  

We also set two mouse traps - one between the bricks surrounding the rose bush, and one beside the tomato plant.


I woke up early this morning and hurried outside to see if our efforts paid off.  There was nothing in the live trap (surprise!).  Both mouse traps were sprung.  I couldn't find one of them and had a few moments of delight at the thought that, somewhere in the woods, some critter had a mouse trap on its nose.  

But the tomato and the rose bush were still standing, so we sort of won that round.

I retrieved the SD card from the trail cam and brought it inside to see if we had captured an image of the beast.  Sure enough . . . . 


Tonight, we might bait the live trap with food.  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment