Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Rain! Peas Up! - May 26, 2021

 

It's raining this morning.  YAY!  The vegetable garden needs it.  

The second batch of green bean seeds still haven't sprouted.  If the weather-people had not predicted a chance of rain this week, I would have watered the garden with the sprinkler two days ago.

I am not convinced that there are any green bean seeds left in the rows.  It appears that something has been digging where I planted them.  I say "appears" because the soil is soft, and the beans aren't all that deep, and some critter that wants to dig them up doesn't have far to dig to get them.  The soil is not disturbed all that much, but there are suspicious indentations all along the rows, more like paw-prints than holes.  

Last night after supper, I asked The Husband to set up the trail camera in the garden.  If something is digging up the seeds, maybe we can at least find out what it is.

On the other hand, maybe the seeds are still there, but it's just not been damp enough to sprout them.  If that's the case, maybe they'll sprout now that we've had some rain.

The purple hull peas that we re-planted last week are UP - there's a solid green line down the center of each row.  Hallelujah!

The tomatoes look wonderful, and some of them are producing fruit.  My father-in-law used to hope for a ripe tomato by the 4th of July every year.  We just might beat that deadline this year.

Cucumbers and squash are growing well.

About a week ago, I dug up a stunted rose bush from a phlox-choked flower bed and moved it to another area where it can get some sun.  Yesterday, as I was puttering around the yard, I noticed that something had dug it up.  I was SO MAD.  I re-planted it, watered it, piled some concrete edgers around the base of the bush, stood back and said, rather smugly, "Dig it up again, asshole."  

Writing that paragraph made me decide to go out in the rain to check on the rose bush.  This is what I found:


ARGHHHHHHH!

I don't know what kind of critter is strong enough to move those edgers!  

This means war.

We're moving the trail cam to the yard tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment