Tuesday, May 18, 2021

My brain runneth over - May 18, 2021

 

After I wrote that last post in which I threatened to round-up everything in my yard, I got a text from a fellow gardener:

"Hey google the medicinal benefits of the houttonya (chameleon plant).  You won't believe it. It may make both of us appreciate it more.  Maybe we will stop trying to kill it."

This is the very same wench that gave me chameleon plant ten years ago and then laughed about it when it ate my yard.

But I googled it, like she suggested. 

Here, let me save you some trouble

Anti-inflammatory functions of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. and its compounds: A perspective on its potential role in rheumatoid arthritis (nih.gov)

After I read that and some other stuff, I went outside, got me a leaf, and ate it.

It wasn't too bad.  I could stand a little bit of it raw in a salad.  Or maybe in salsa.  And I could for sure dry it and make tea with it.  

I'm 'bout to show the chameleon plants who's the boss around here.

Reading those articles reminded me that somewhere in the house there's an herbalist book.  It was on the "how-to" shelf.  Chameleon plant wasn't in it, but I thumbed through it and noted about two dozen plants that grow in and around my yard that are good medicinal plants.

This calls for further investigation.



No comments:

Post a Comment