Monday, May 3, 2021

Well, poop . . . May 3, 2021

 

This weekend didn't turn out exactly like I'd planned.

Saturday morning, I was a real dynamo and got a lot done, both in the house and in the yard.  A mid-afternoon baby shower interrupted my progress.  My plan for after the shower was to go to the greenhouse to get soil and plants for the front flower bed.

The shower was actually kind of fun.  I saw a couple of ladies I hadn't seen since high school.  The expectant mother is the granddaughter of one of my father's friends, a big, freckled, red-haired dude that folks called "Red."  He is the slowest-talking person I have ever met, and he always had a story to tell.  At the shower, I related to his daughter a story about a litter of five puppies that Red had told Daddy in my presence:  

". . . I went out to feed them puppies.  There was five dawgs, and three fights going on.  Two puppies was fightin' two other puppies, and one puppy was tryin' to bite his own leg off."

I actually made it to the greenhouse after the shower, driving The Husband's truck, which I am not accustomed to driving.  It took three tries to park the truck straight between the parking space lines.  As I was getting out of the truck, I whacked my knee on some knob on the dashboard - hit it right in the same place that the doctor hits it when he's testing reflexes.  It took my breath away for a minute.  When I finally recovered my wits, I noticed that a bell was dinging in the truck, and it took another minute to figure out that I'd turned on the headlights with my knee.  

I didn't find the kind of plants I wanted, so I just went back home.

About 5 a.m. yesterday morning, I woke up to stomach pains.  Spent the first half of the day running to the bathroom every few minutes.  We had invited the kids, grandkids, and relatives on the hill to our house for a cookout at 6 p.m.  About mid-morning, I sent a text message to everyone, calling off the cookout, not wanting to expose all those folks to a potential stomach bug.  It was raining, anyway.

At 2 p.m., there was scheduled an annual meeting for The Husband's credit union.  It was the first annual meeting since he was named the CEO.  He was worried that, due to covid and the weather, not enough people would show up to make a quorum.  If not enough folks showed up, they'd have to re-schedule the meeting.  I felt like I should go to the meeting, both for moral support and to add to the "body count," but I was a little leery about leaving the house, considering my tummy issues.  I waited until the very last minute to leave the house, and high-tailed it out of there the minute the meeting was over.  Fortunately, I made it back home without a nasty, embarrassing incident.

It rained all night last night and is still raining this morning.  I've got to leave for work in a few minutes.  After work, I'm going to another greenhouse to see if I can find the plants I want for the front bed.  




No comments:

Post a Comment