Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Garden Report - May 5, 2021

 

After work today, I made a quick sashay to the garden to see how things are looking.  I wasn't too happy about the present state of things.

The tomatoes and peppers are looking okay - growing, with a few blooms here and there.

Last season's cucumber seeds sprouted to beat the band.

But the beans and peas are pitiful.  Only a few green beans have come up.  The lower thirds of the purple-hull pea rows look pretty bare.  Nothing is showing in the butterbean row.

I'm kind of irked about this state of affairs.  This is the first year that I've been able to plant the garden when I wanted to plant it instead of when other people were ready for me to plant it.  When Pop-Pop was alive, he called the shots on the planting date by simply refusing to break up the garden until he thought it was time.  In subsequent years, I relied on other people to do the breaking, people who had jobs and kids and other obligations and would get to me when they found time.  Sometimes, the weather just didn't cooperate.  But this year, we had the equipment and the weather, and we got to work early.  

And it has rained, and been unseasonably cool, ever since I planted.

And it's supposed to rain again this weekend.

The seeds that haven't sprouted may be water-logged.  I may have to start over with seed planting after the ground dries up enough to work.  

Or it could be that it's just not warm enough yet for the seeds to sprout.

However, the squash and zucchini seeds I planted in the seed-starting trays sprouted like champs.  Maybe they just tolerate cooler temps better than beans.  <shrug>  They need to go in the ground, as some of them are already developing their second set of leaves.  But I'd sink to my armpits in the garden as wet as it is right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment