Sunday, August 15, 2021

Canning Tomatoes - August 15, 2021

 Well, Nanny pulled a fast one on me today.  I told you a couple of days ago that I'd picked a two or three  of gallons of tomatoes, intending to give them to Nanny to can because she'd said she wanted to can some more.  When I came out of the garden and presented them to her, she got a funny look on her face, and ended up telling me that she wouldn't have time to do them this weekend.  I told her I'd just bring them up to my house and put them on the back porch for a day or two since they weren't too ripe to keep.  That two or three gallons wasn't really enough to fool with, anyway, but there were more in the garden that would be ready by Sunday.

I got up early this morning and went to get the rest of the ripe tomatoes.  Got another two or three gallons, which, added to what I had on the porch, was enough to fool with.  My plan was to scald them, peel them, chop them, and deliver them to Nanny to can.  

While I was gone, Nanny called The Husband and said she had some quart jars if I needed them.

And I was, like, What?

The Husband said she sounded a little raspy and maybe she wasn't feeling good.

So I ended up canning the tomatoes, myself.  Made 6 quarts.  And I'm taking them to her, because I don't have room to store 6 more quarts of tomatoes unless I rearrange my cabinet, and that ain't happening.  

Before I picked tomatoes, I checked on the purple hull peas.  We have a terrific stand of peas this time.  They ought to make enough to last Nanny all winter, if the frost doesn't get them.


No comments:

Post a Comment