Saturday, August 14, 2021

Rain - August 14, 2021

 

Well, after watering the garden for two days in a row, on the third day, it rained.  Our purple hull pea seeds may be floating down the Mississippi right about now.

I picked tomatoes before work yesterday morning - got about 3 gallons - but I did not peel them after work as I'd planned.  There were a fair amount of tomatoes on the vines that weren't quite ripe enough to suit me, so I left them there to ripen a bit more.  The ones I picked will be okay on the back porch until tomorrow.

The okra is churning out pods like crazy.  I've been wanting to make pickled okra, but I want to find a recipe that will make CRISP pickled okra.  I cut some yesterday morning, intending to pickle it, but a quick internet search did not turn up a recipe that I thought would be crisp.  I did make one jar of "refrigerator" pickled okra, but it might not turn work.  All I did was heat vinegar and water and pour it over raw okra in a jar, with some dill, garlic, and red pepper flakes.  Didn't water bath it or seal it.  After it cooled a bit, I put it in the refrigerator, so what I've got is basically still raw okra in a jar.  It might not be worth eating, but I won't have lost anything but a handful of okra and a little bit of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment