Friday, August 12, 2022

Crash Kitchen - August 12, 2022

I was so excited to get a new food processor a few weeks ago.  I've been chopping and slicing left and right.  Last night, after pulverizing some frozen grated cheese (I was making low-carb cheetos - more about that later), as I was putting the processor back where it goes, the bowl fell off and chipped in two places when it hit the floor.  *sigh*  

When I tested the bowl on the processor, all the lights on the processor would flash at once, and it wouldn't grind.  I nudged the bowl a little bit and the lights went back to normal, but it still wouldn't budge.  *sigh*  

I gathered up the chips, found a bottle of super-glue that wasn't dried up, and glued the chips back in place.  (Wouldn't you know it, the chips occurred precisely in the spots where something needs to click or fit into a groove.  It probably could've busted in ANY OTHER PLACES and still worked.)  The chips glued in nicely, and I thought, This might work.  

The glue dried overnight, and I gave it a try today. 

No go.  

Lights flashing, nothing happens.

So I ordered a new bowl today.  It cost 2/3 as much as the whole food processor.  

If those lights blink when the new bowl goes on, I will be very mad.

* * * * * * * *

The Husband and I have been on a low-carb diet for almost 3 months.  We've both lost weight, but boy are we sick of the food.  I scour the internet daily for something new to cook.  Today's experiment is lasagna made with lavash bread instead of noodles.  It's ready to go in the oven come suppertime.  I'm sort of worried about what's going to happen to that lavash; I expect the top edge is going to be too crunchy to suit me.  (I don't like it when the edges of real lasagna noodles get crunchy.)  

Yesterday's experiment was home-made cheetos.  Pulverized frozen cheese, stiffly-beaten egg whites (with a tad of cream of tarter), and a small amount of almond flour.  Pipe it onto a parchment-lined tray, bake, and leave it in the oven to dry out for a while longer.  They were . . . not bad.  After they'd cooled completely, I put them in a zip bag.  I wondered if they'd get soggy, but so far they haven't.  I will try them again, with a little bit of cayenne or garlic.  The Husband says they need more cheese, but I think too much more cheese might affect the texture in a not-good way, since I'm shooting for a crunchy snack.

* * * * * * * * 

I might have found a new job.  Details to come.  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment