Friday, August 26, 2022

Still Picking Peas - August 26, 2020

Yesterday was The Boss's last day in court.  After the final case was over, the court clerks and the bailiffs gathered behind The Boss on the bench for a picture.  It was kind of bittersweet.

The Boss turned me loose when we got back to town.  I ran a few errands, came home, changed clothes, and went to the garden to see what needed picking.  The purple hull peas should've been picked last weekend, but it rained, and we did not do any work in the garden.  Yesterday, when I finally got to it and saw all the grass and weeds I'd have to wade through, I thought I could hear the chiggers celebrating my approach.

About half of the peas on the vines were dried up, but there were enough good ones to make about a quart of shelled peas.  (I gave that job to Nanny.)  

This year's tomato crop has been pitiful.  We've had so much rain this month that many of the tomato skins have split.  And the garden critter - whatever it is - squirrel, raccoon, or groundhog - gnawed the bottoms out of half of the crop.  

While the rain kept us out of the garden, the squash grew into baseball bats.  I hauled two 5-gallon buckets of over-sized squash to the gulley behind the garden.  I don't know why the garden critter(s) don't eat squash.  Wonder if they know something we don't know?

Tonight is The Boss's retirement party, something she has been planning for years.  Five hundred guests are expected.  A local barbeque restaurant is cooking 26 pork shoulders and side-dishes to go with them.  There'll be a band and beverages.  It should be fun.  





No comments:

Post a Comment