Monday, August 8, 2022

Weed whacking - August 8, 2022

The weed whacker mentioned in my previous post is shaped sort of like a lawnmower.  It has two wheels and a handle; the business end of the thing juts out the front.  It uses thick, twisted "string" that looks like a licorice whip.  It can handle some pretty tough weeds.

When I asked my son to bring it home two weeks ago, he said the handle was broken, and he had not been able to find a replacement.  This weekend, I told him to bring it home, anyway, so that I could take it to a small engine repair shop to see if it could be fixed.  He brought it this weekend and put it in the shop down at Nanny's.  I thought he must have fixed it since we'd talked; the handle looked fine to me.

I went down to the shed to get it yesterday morning.  Gassed it up, yanked the cord, and it fired up on the second pull.  I thought, "Wooo-HOOO!"  

But then I realized that the front end wasn't doing anything.  The business end wasn't turning.  It was then that I realized that the "handle" that was broken was actually the - I guess you'd call it the "clutch" lever - the thing you have to hold down to make the string spin.  I loaded it into the truck and brought it home to take a picture of the model number, blow it up large enough to read, and see if I could find a replacement part online.

And I found one.

But while I was searching, The Husband took a similar part off an old lawnmower - the bar you have to hold down to keep the lawnmower running - and installed it on the weed whacker.  AND IT WORKED!

I ordered the part, anyway.

The point of getting this thing running was to chop down the tall grass around the edges of the garden.  Late yesterday afternoon, we loaded the whacker back into the truck and took it to the garden.  The grass was so tall that it wrapped around the spinning thing and pretty much paralyzed it.  While I was untangling the grass, The Husband cranked up the lawnmower and mowed the grass down.  Made short work of it.  Good thing, too, because once I got the grass unwound, I could not get the whacker to crank again.  The pull cord seemed suddenly uncooperative.  I could not yank it hard enough to make the engine fire.

It's always something, ain't it?  :-\



No comments:

Post a Comment