Sunday, January 28, 2024

Side-tracked (again) - January 28, 2024

I don't know why we pay $______ for cable TV, $_____ for Netflix, and $_______ for Prime when we watch our local PBS channel 90% of the time.

A night or two ago, PBS aired a documentary about Benjamin Franklin.  Have I told you about my fascination with him?

About 20 years ago, I somehow stumbled over what is called an "armchair treasure hunt" that offered a million dollar prize for the first person to find the "key" and solve the puzzle.  Intrigued, I paid the $10 for the book.  This wound up costing me thousands of dollars spent on other books for researching the broad range of puzzle clues.  Several years later, the puzzle-makers announced that, although no one had solved the puzzle, they were closing it down, and they posted the key.  I wasn't too unhappy (or too surprised) about the prospect of not winning the money.  Along the way, I had met some fascinating people and learned more history than I ever expected to learn, but I never felt close to solving the mystery.  What I did make me unhappy was the fact that the puzzle-makers had planned to issue sequels that would identify the LOCK, and now these sequels would not be forthcoming.  What good is a key without a lock, eh?  

Long story short, I quit spending time on the puzzle, but I never really stopped thinking about it.  This spring, when I purged the sewing room and my former office (which is now The Husband's ukulele room), I donated three car loads of books to the local libraries, but I could not bring myself to dispose of some of the books I'd bought for the puzzle.  I kept ALL the books about Benjamin Franklin, for this international man of mystery had become my hero.  :)

Something in this week's PBS documentary started me to think about him again.  I spent all day yesterday researching him.  All day.  I even dragged out some of my puzzle notes from way back.  

This fascination is not conducive to achieving my other goals.  Time's a-wasting, and I need to be doing other things.

* * * * * * * * 

My BFF lives in another state.  We see each other once every couple of years, and we send each other little trinkets that we find or make.  Just before the snow-pocalypse, she told me that she'd mailed me something she'd made.  I don't know which of us was more excited for it to arrive.  Well, it didn't come, and it didn't come, and she was tracking it as it went NOWHERE , , , ,   

It finally arrived yesterday.  

The thing she'd made was a really cool basket made from cording (of some kind).  In the box with it were two bags of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips and a handful of chocolate-covered cherries, the good kind with the clearish liquid inside.  (Heifer knows me well, eh?)  One or two of the cherries had leaked in transit, and the basket was a little sticky, but I rinsed it off and it is none worse for the wear.  

I ate two of the cherries right away but put the rest of them in a bag and froze them.  CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHERRIES ARE NOT ON MY DIET!  :)  

I did not open the Sun Chips.  

I will not open them.  

Yet.

;)



No comments:

Post a Comment