Thursday, March 7, 2024

Antsy - March 7, 2004

This has not been such a fabulous week.

Tuesday, I picked up Granddaughter #2 from track practice and ran into a parking lot "Handicapped Parking" sign.  Just plowed right into it.  Busted my front left blinker and dented my bumper.  I DID NOT EVEN SEE THAT SIGN.  That's the scary part.  I guess it was in my blind spot.  

But, damn . . . . 

A stomach virus is raging through Son #2's family, for the second or third time in a month.  When I took #2 home from practice, #'s 3 and 4 came running.  As I was sweeping #4 up to kiss her, my daughter-in-law said, "She just threw up!"  (The LRB said, "Yeah, I frew up on the pwaygwound steps.")  My son said he thought she got choked on her spit and threw up because of it, but he called yesterday and said the baby had puked all night long.  Today, both parental units have the trots (the "thin dirties" as their great-great- grandmother used to say).  #1 is supposed to come home for spring break this weekend.  I hope she doesn't catch it!

#2 is ok, so far, and she has her last 8th grade band performance tonight.  And both parents with the sh*ts.  You know what that means, right?  Grandparent participation is required to get her to and from the concert.  Both the middle school band and the high school band are performing.  The gym will be packed, probably with a thousand other cases of impending stomach viruses.  

Lovely.

Cross your fingers that those of us who are still standing can manage not to poop our pants at the concert.

In work news, my new project is to investigate how to start a county archive. This project is like a giant spider (it probably will involve real giant spiders) - multiple legs, and a sticky web of politics and finances.  Nothing moves fast in government because no one person can decide anything.  So, here I am, chomping at the bit to archive some documents, and can't do a blasted thing.

I was semi-excited at the prospect of getting to attend an archival class at the State Archives next month.  It's a competitive class, meaning not everyone who applies gets in.  I say "semi-excited" because (1) I need the class but (2) it was going to be a bit of a pain to get there.  We are scheduled to be in Gatlinburg that week.  I was willing to drive from Gatlinburg to Nashville (not much different than driving from home), but it was going to take some shenanigans to get The Husband to Nashville when his seminar is over.  Thus, I was not too disappointed this morning to learn that I did not make the class.  I'll try again next time they offer it.  Maybe by then I can actually put what I learn into practice.




No comments:

Post a Comment