Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Cold Snap - March 19, 2024

 I lied yesterday.  It was cold, and the wind was blowing hard, and I said I wasn't going to work in the yard, but mid-afternoon I went out and dug up a chunk of the fern behind the shed and moved it to the stump bed.

Knowing that the temperature was predicted to fall into the low '30s last night, I did not know whether to water the transplanted fern immediately or wait until today to water it.  Would the water freeze the roots?  In the end, I watered it.  I hope it lives.  I dug it up with a hand trowel - went right through the middle of the plant and levered half of it out of the ground.  It had couple of coiled leaves coming out.  I got those with the transplant chunk.  

I considered moving all the stuff in the cold frame into the house, but I didn't.  What is the point of having a cold frame if I'm going to have to move what's in it at every cold snap?

NOON UPDATE - Stump Garden:  

The sweet potato vine in the stump garden probably ain't gonna make it, judging by how limp it is right now.  The leopard plant looks bad, but I think it will recover.  The other stuff from the nursery is fine. The fern looks like it did before I moved it. We'll see what happens to those new leaf curls in a day or two.

I found a cheesy little gnome (with his house, and a walkway, and a "Welcome" sign) for $5 at Dollar General.  He's in the stump garden now, though his location might be temporary.  

I scattered a $1 package of dollar store alyssum seeds in the store-bought dirt we put in the hole where the tree fell.  I have never had luck getting alyssum to sprout.  We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment