Monday, March 25, 2024

Monday - March 25, 2024

Saturday was cold and blustery.  The sun was shining, but every time I'd step outside to do something, the wind would run me back in the house.  We had a birthday party to go to at 4, and a concert (ZZ Top and Lynard Skynard) at 7, so we didn't get much done in the yard Saturday.

Sunday was a different story.  The wind had died down, the sun was shining, and The Husband and I did little jobs around the yard.  I divided some hosta plants and planted them around the stump garden.  We trimmed the yew that had eaten up a good 2 feet of the driveway.  I raked out a ditch near the stump garden.  

The Community Garden manager texted me yesterday to let me know that the garden is now ready to plant.  I will try to do that today, if I have time.

I'm scheduled to meet with the county maintenance manager this morning to tour our old jail, where some of the county's old records are reportedly stored.  I've already toured that building twice and believed I'd found all of the "stash," but rumor has it that there is more that is hiding elsewhere.  After the tour, I've got a couple of other places to inspect, and I am going to try to get some face time with the county mayor.  I need some direction.

If I haven't said so outright, yet, my new project is to start a county archive.  Right now, I'm trying to get a handle on how much space we will need.  The next task will be to inventory the records that will go to the archive.  As you might imagine, this is going to be a little difficult since the records are scattered all over the place. One storage room I visited was packed to the max with rows of 5-drawer file cabinets, atop which were bankers' boxes, stacked to the ceiling.  I'm going there today to start the inventory, as I believe everything in that room will need to go to the archive.

With this new project, my life is about to change again.  I've worked at home 4 days a week for a little over a year, but this archive work is not something I can do from home.  I'm both ready for it, and dreading it., for it's a job that's "right up my alley," but I do love working from home.  Keeping up with household chores is so much easier.  I can walk to the next room, put a load of clothes in the wash, and get back to work.  I can grocery shop on my lunch break and have enough time to bring them home and put them away before my hour is up.  When my eyes need a break from the computer screen, I can go outside and spend 10 minutes pulling weeds out of a flower bed.  I can stay in my housecoat all day, if I want to.  (I have done that only a handful of times when it was really, really cold.)  

It remains to be seen how much the "right up my alley" aspect of the assignment will make up for being blasted out of my den.  I've been pushing for this archive and think I will relish the job of fooling with the old files and books.  What genealogy buff wouldn't?  But there'll be a lot of work before that stage is reached.  Nasty work.  Dust.  Bugs.  Mice.  Creepy dark places.  I can deal with that work.  What can't deal with is frustration, and I'm expecting a lot of that.

So, anyway, I've got to get my butt in gear today.  I've told the county maintenance guy that I could meet him at 8 a.m.  He may not get to me that early, but I have to be ready in case he does.  After that, I'm going to the afore-mentioned storage room to start an inventory.  Hopefully, I can see the mayor at some point.  

I'll let you know how it goes.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment