Thursday, March 21, 2024

Community Garden - March 21, 2024

Spring has finally arrived.  Mid-South gardeners know that there may still be some nasty surprises ahead.  (Back when I ran a flower shop, one year we delivered Easter lilies in the snow.)  April 15th is my "safe" date; still, I rarely get the garden seeds in the ground until some time in May.  I'd hoped to start earlier this year, but that may not happen.  We've got a busy April ahead, and the tomatoes might not be ready to plant by April 15th.

Speaking of the tomatoes, I'm worried.  I've been watching them like a hawk.  Seven of the little purple grape tomato seeds have sprouted.  They are in 4" pots.  They endured last week's two nights of freezing temperatures just fine in the cold frame.  (Whew!)  New ones have sprouted since the freeze.  The other tomato seeds that I planted last week in 6-pack trays and sour cream tubs might have said to one another, "Hold up, it's not time yet," but they should be up soon.  

Tending to these plants is like having a pet.  

We're going out of town for two weeks in April.  

These plants will probably die unless I can find someone to water them (and maybe adjust the lid on the cold frame) while I'm gone.

Nanny would do it.  But she would agonize about it, especially if some critter got in there and dug everything up.  Hmm.

I am also worried about the community garden plot that was assigned to me.  If my plan doesn't go awry, I'm going to plant sugar snap peas in my plot today.  They'll be up and going by mid-April and will need to be staked.  They'll need tending.  I'll have to nominate someone for that duty, but it's a work-related thing, and some other flunky can take over the job while I'm gone.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment